The Bee’s Knees

There is something about spring. I’m not sure if it’s the sunshine, the weather, everything blooming, or that I feel like I’m coming out of hibernation. But I feel sooo much more alive! Like the fog has lifted, and I can see clearly now (cue the music!)

It has been a week since my treatment, and I’m feeling great! Aside from dry mouth, I have no side effects. My oncologist predicted the first week would be the most quiet. I’m grateful I’ve had a few weeks to get the Sylatron out of my system before going on Ipi/Nivo. I was constantly tired before, and now I’m up and getting stuff done. This along with the spring weather has really made me quite the busy bee.

The Hive!
The Hive!

Speaking of bees…we are now beekeepers!! I can’t believe it!! We got our bees last Sunday, and I have been AMAZED at what they can do. Our package came with a separate queen bee, and we did everything by the book to get the hive started. But when we opened it up today, we found that the bees had built a huge burr comb off one of the frames. Of COURSE I hadn’t seen this in my readings, so to the internet I went and did my research. Based on advice from the magical internet, I scraped off the comb and rearranged the frames.

Burr comb from the bees
Nature at its best. Burr comb from the bees

The burr comb is amazing though…it’s like holding a miracle in your hand. It’s incredibly delicate, perfect, and yet somehow sturdy. Every bee has its place and its role, and they all work together to create this amazing thing. How do they do that?!? Plus, they make honey. And who doesn’t love a little sugar in their lives? 😉

Good vs Evil
Good vs Evil

On another note, the kitties are beginning to get along. Frankie is such a love. He just follows Tamarin around wanting to cuddle. She, however, has other plans, and tends to run away. I caught them getting close the other day (much to their dismay). I’m sure time will improve their relationship and increase the cuddle time!

6 thoughts on “The Bee’s Knees

• April 22, 2016 at 2:52 pm

Glad you are doing well after your treatment ?
    The Dr wants to put me on Ipi and I don’t want to do it
    How did you get your combo?
    Also how do you deal with your fear?
    I love the bees and the kitties

• April 22, 2016 at 4:39 pm

Hi
    I tried to post from my mobile and it did not go thru. I love the bees and your kitties are adorable. I miss having a kitty around and so does my dog. Hopefully some day soon we find the perfect house and settle down.
    I have been staged at 3b because my node was swollen. No I am technically cancer free and want to do something other than ipi to prevent a recurrence. How did you find your combo? What stage are you? When does the fear go away?
    Thanks and enjoy spring time in New England. My sister is in New Hampshire btw. I am in Seattle

Take care

• April 22, 2016 at 9:16 pm

Hi Vicki! I’m stage IIIC, but I have an unresected in-transit metastasis near my primary melanoma. Unresected stage III technically becomes stage IV, and can be treated with stage IV therapies (thus the Ipi/Nivo combo which isn’t approved for stage III). I understand your fear. Stage III is a very difficult place to be, and there are so few treatments. Do your research and do what is best for you, whatever that may be. Surround yourself with positive people you enjoy and don’t forget to enjoy the life you have!!

• April 22, 2016 at 8:16 pm

Lauren- glad you are feeling better and are enjoying the spring weather. Indiana is getting drenched. Then we dry out. Enjoy the bees. Hope they don’t sting. Karla Steger.

• April 22, 2016 at 9:20 pm

Thanks, Karla! April showers bring May flowers, as the saying goes 🙂 Honeybees tend to be gentle (thank goodness) and so far, so good!

• April 23, 2016 at 11:33 am

Thanks again for your blog and all the info
    What are you going to do with the honey?
    Have a great weekend